September 13, 2010

Love your kitchen table


I have noticed this summer that the vast majority of customers have bought flowers from me to give to other people, very few for themselves.

I think the notion of flowers to give is delightful of course, but I feel a one-woman mission coming on to encourage people to stop thinking about buying for themselves as an unforgivable indulgence.

Flowers bring the outside in so beautifully, enhance a room, are a joyful statement of life as more than survival, no? I feel sure that this positive attitude is more common on the continent, (an image of flowers tucked in the market basket along with fruit, veg, pain et fromage comes to mind), here in the UK we seem embarrassed by the frivolity maybe?

Clearly they are not a necessity and in pinched times, they get dropped from the shopping list, that I do appreciate.

But, they can be so affordable, either picked for free from your own garden, or bought really reasonably from markets or in, other countries, pick-your-own farms. Or from flexibly-minded florists. Or, ahem, from me!!

Super swanky and expensive florists can be fabulous if money is not an issue, but perhaps the prices have put some off indulging themselves in such a 'luxury'.

Perception about a product will affect our buying habits I am sure.  At the moment I think most people in the UK, think of cheap flowers as coming from the supermarket or petrol station and being really dull and predictable, and beautiful, unusual flowers being bought from expensive, high-end florists. The proliferation of gorgeous, but reasonably priced flowers would encourage a shift in attitude I am thinking. Wild Acre has been trying to provide those kind of flowers, posies and small bouquets from as cheap as about £3 for a bedside posy. What do you think? Would you buy flowers for your own home regularly?


12 comments:

  1. I love the idea. It's one of the things I promise myself when the house is tidy! I was saying to Dave that although it's lovely to be given flowers, it often happens at a time of upheaval (illness, new baby, house move...) so actually the house is a state and you can't find anywhere to put them! Much nicer to just have the things you love looking at around you all the time. We have a lovely local florist who doesn't mind us just buying a few flowers at a time - you then get what you really love rather than a wilting supermarket bouquet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Belinda,

    I think it is more common on the Continent indeed to buy flowers for yourself. I always have at least two bouquets in the living room. One on the mantelpiece and one on the dining table. It gives a room so much exta. In Holland there is much more choice in flowers and they are a lot cheaper than in the UK. That probably makes it easier!

    Lieve groet, Madelief

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I thought Madelief, and interesting reasons why it might be more common. So few flowers for sale are grown in this country, which is one reason they are so expensive in comparison to yours. We need more British growers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I always have flowers, either from my garden or from the shop. BIG perk of being a floral designer. They bring color, scent and a sense of life and caring to any room. Would that i could have a bouquet of yours.

    and of course I'd buy one for Webb too.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jane! You too, like Madelief - really think we tend to be a little bit deficient in this area in the Uk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here, here. Even though I totally agree with the sentiment, there are busy periods (such as the last few months, it seems) when I neglect to get flowers into my own house. This week's farmers market was slow so I am enjoying a few more bouquets around here than usual. I'd forgotten how nice it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Jane!

    I do keep flowers on the table most of the time - especially in the winter when I don't have much in bloom. They just make me happy! Can't really understand why folks don't do it... for themselves. Who's more important?

    And, I'd get you some, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea! Flowers make me SO happy too, and you're SO right, it seems such a shame to have to wait for birthdays and anniversaries to receive them (sadly, they're no longer an impromtu gift!) I've tagged you on my post today by the way - Feel free to answer the questions - only if you want to! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do buy flowers regularly, the house looks bare without them. I buy them from the supermarket as the local florist is a bit expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mrs Sutton, will check out those questions!

    Big welcome, Sue, thanks for visiting and even more, for commenting! I do think British florists are more expensive than in countries where they do not need to import the flowers, makes sense. How do you find the supermarket ones, out of interest, enough style, variety etc? Certainly the prices can be better.

    I sell locally from my garden and I wonder if there was a network of small British growers then customers would have a well-priced alternative of unusual and seasonal flowers? A girl can dream!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Belinda,

    What gorgeous flowers. I've got both eucalyptus and Japanese anemones (spelling?) in my garden but hadn't thought of putting them together until I saw your lovely blog, which I've now followed.

    I'm looking forward to more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete