July 04, 2011

Growing and arranging cut flowers - the lowdown!


A few posts ago now quite a few of you expressed an interest in a 'Wild Acre' list of flowers that are easy to grow and great for cutting. Sarah even wondered if I could do an e-course in how to arrange garden flowers. Golly.


The answer is, I would love to share these things with you! Whilst I am not a highly-trained horticultural expert, nor am I an experienced big scale flower farmer, what I can share is about four years' worth of reading, researching, trial and many-an-error growing and learning the basics of floristry, and a summary of what has really worked for me in a garden situation without polytunnels or greenhouses or the  use of chemicals.


Flowers and foliage that I have grown from seed or small plants that have really earned their place in my garden by giving weeks of beautiful blooms that provide stunning, longlasting cut flowers is what I really want to share with you. And how to all make it wildlife/pollinator friendly.


I am not going to recommend anything that I have not trialled myself, and I will be completely upfront about things that haven't worked so well. And for the floristry side? Well, I'll tell you what I know, but I'm hoping some seriously talented floral designers I am lucky enough to call friends will up the ante somewhat with some brilliant ideas, tips and how-tos.


So, do you want to join in? If you have ever wanted to know how to best grow flowers in your garden, allotment, balcony or rooftop that will work fantastically as cut flowers to enjoy in your house or give to friends as gifts, please drop by on Fridays over the summer and early Autumn. I think it's going to be fun! Please feel free to ask any questions as we go along, and I will answer them in the following post rather than in the comments space, so we can all glean as much information as possible. Or add your own suggestions, that would be great! This will be a learning-all-together kind of affair, so I'm hoping to learn from you too, I know how clever so many of you are with flowers!


The perfect time for planning and planting a cutting garden, or incorporating cut flower elements into your existing garden is September/October, so the timing is such that by the time the autumn is upon us, you will have all the info you need to get planting! And I will have an armful of lovely ideas from you. Whoop! Three sleeps 'til Friday! xxx


22 comments:

  1. Your garden looks perfect.
    It's so much more than green thumbs...
    Dedication and a vision.

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaaaay! I can't tell you how excited I am about this!! I am such a huuuuuge fan of your flowers (oh, and your house, your style and, errr......YOU!!). Very excited indeed!! Thank you!!

    Sarahxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh wonderful idea. can we have tips for fitting as much as possible into a small space.

    oh and how to convince my hubby to let me dig up even more of the lawn for more flower beds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait. I have a fair amount of space available for flowers for cutting, my garden as is, is so drab, it needs colour. I am really looking forward to reading your advice. I love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belinda

    I'm already looking forward to Friday. I also grow flowers for cutting for my own house. I dry some as well. There's nothing like gouing into the garden to pick flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurrah! Can't wait and thank you so much for doing this. Not sure it will make any difference to the state of our garden but everyone can dream...! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH BElinda, you are a gem. Fridays have got even better so! Sinead x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot tell you how happy this males me! My 10 yo has part share in the Scouts allotment, and I should think they'll have lost interest by September, so I can sneak in a cutting patch. I've always wanted one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent! Now I will have no excuse why I didn't plant my fall bulbs.

    This is gonna be fun Belinda.

    Your garden and flowers are total bliss.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Belinda - what a great idea. Remember your old friends when you shoot to e-florist superstardom!!

    Naomi xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for offering to teach us...I am so looking forward to learning the secrets to all of the beautiful arrangements you all do...See you Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your flowers and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eeeeeeek! This is so exciting! So generous of you too. I blogged about you today, in total awe receiving my amazing wild acre earrings! I've just taken them off to go to sleep and feel sad not to be wearing them. You are talented in ways most of us can only dream of. Thank you so much. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, what fun Friday's will be now! Can't tell you how much I am looking forward to these posts...although it will probably just make me want to move to your neck of the woods because I can guarantee you that a garden in Texas will never look like your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  15. See you Friday! Looking forward to swapping ideas on the do's and don'ts of growing your own.x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What Sarah said!! i can't wait. I need to learn so much and this will be so much fun. thanks for the generosity! see you soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in! My favorite thing to do is take photos of flowers and I have alot to learn about them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea - will look forward to that :-).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic! What a generous idea, Belinda. Very much looking forward to Fridays.
    Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  20. How wonderful Belinda, count me in! It is extremely generous of you to share your expertise with us...thankyou. Sorry you missed the giveaway, thanks for your lovely comments, love Linda x (I will be working late tomorrow, so may not join you until late on, but I am looking forward to it).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh, that will be such a treat! Thank you, Belinda. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd love to have a garden like yours, but do not have the space or the sun. I always love the colours, combinations and textures of everything you grow to make up your exquisite posies and visit your wonderful blog to get my dose of eye candy.

    ReplyDelete