November 25, 2011

output and input

It has been the busiest week yet at Wild Acre Jewellery HQ! The fairs last weekend went so well, it was fantastic meeting old and new customers, chatting about why and how I make the jewellery, hearing feedback and, of course, seeing people fall in love with pieces hard enough to make orders then and there is so encouraging! I have been busy making all week to fulfill those orders, and still have more to go, so my heart is happy but my fingers are sore! I always think I hate selling, but I do love explaining why I feel so passionate about metalsmithing and designing pieces, so I find myself suprised by how much I end up enjoying these selling events. The most fun one was a tiny pop-up Christmas giftshop  in a friend's house, packed and friendly and festive!
That was the output side of my week.
  
The input side has been hugely boosted by my houndwalking this week, curling cool mists followed by blue skies and sunshine have made my local landscape somehow look washed and clean and glowing recently. 


I have taken moments to take in the views and really appreciate the big skies and tiny details around me, and I find that gives me so much energy. The wildly out of kilter mild temperatures have mean't that there are still flowers in the garden, still some golden leaves on the trees and a few remaining berries unpicked by the birds. The hedgerows are my daily landscape companions, snaking like ancient ribbons around fields and bridleways, along footpaths and country lanes, changing always, evolving over the seasons, marking their changes as the months pass by. Their life, their durability, the ancient customs, meeting places and folklore they have inspired all thrill me. Hedgerows thrilling the heart, who'd have thought?! In the spring, their frothy whiteness heralds the new growing season, 


and as summer approaches they explode into white flower again, this time accompanied by the cowparsley at their feet,


and in high summer the wildflowers along their verges are almost profligate in their wayside beauty,





Now of course it is all about berries and seedheads and those last precious leaves.








 Today, those last few berries and leaves were looking slightly wistful in the milky sunlight, knowing they glow quietly on borrowed time.



I'm taking it all in, and it is proving food for the soul and energy for the imagination. It fuels my creativity and is increasingly finding its way into my designs. No output without input!

13 comments:

  1. So pleased your sale went well, you so deserve it, your jewelry is beautiful, as are your photo's....
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Belinda - such a beautiful post.... the seasons seem to engulf us so with their zest, bounty, fruitfulness and harshness - yet all so ephemeral as yet another year races by...

    ReplyDelete
  3. O! That gorgeous spring Silene ..makes me so happy. It must be my favorite wildflower ever. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely images....and good news that the sale went well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on good sales, despite the economy! Perhaps it gives you validation you are doing exactly what you are meant to be doing :) I love the input/output idea - both needing to be in balance :) Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not surprised that with such an input you get such an output!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photographs showing the different seasons affecting nature around us. Also congrats on the sales of your goods, its good news in these time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely way to start my day - catching up on your hedgerows thru the year! So glad the selling is going well, and that you are learning that you are comfortable doing it. Forget "selling" and keep "telling"! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely poetic post Belinda, and gorgeous pics to go with it. So glad your Fairs went well! Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  10. nature is abundantly generous, a feast for the soul and an inspiration. I love walking our dogs too and taking note of what I see and small changes here and there every day. Love your work - the simple but bold and organic shapes. So pleased you are doing well :-)
    Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S I am slowly catching up after a month away from blogland and it's lovely and relaxing to just sit, read and browse lovely photographs.

    ReplyDelete