November 30, 2011

strikes and picnics

The kids have a day off school because their teachers are striking.

I was feeling that weird pressure I put on myself that we should See Something. Living close enough to visit both London or Cambridge in a day, I often feel I don't take them often enough to See Things or Do Things - you know those vaguely educational, horizon expanding trips to some of the best theatres, museums and galleries in the world just a train hop away. Truth is though, we are all a bit coldy and tired and the youngest was doing the school play all last week and we figured millions of out-of-school kids may be thronging the London streets and we just couldn't face it. So we have kept it super simple. Yep, we decided to celebrate a midweek break by going on a winter picnic. Just a thermos of hot chocolate and some biscuits really but since there was a rug and a basket, we'll call it a picnic. Luckily it has been the most gorgeous blue-sky day today and the ancient common land by the river behind our house was looking perfect for a spot of picnicing.




We went down by the river, where the dog swam and we threw sticks for him, we kicked leaves and the kids climbed trees in the woods, we marvelled at the last golden leaves still somehow holding on to a few oaks and beeches despite it being December tomorrow, and Finn took a photo of some amazing pink fungi on a stick.









That is all Doing Something and Seeing Something, right? This afternoon the woodburner is lit, a dvd watched while I work, and roast chicken, herby rice and green beans for supper. Some days are just supposed to be simple. xx



23 comments:

  1. What lovely colours!
    Your countryside looks so inviting...adorable children too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a perfect day to me - much better that fighting through crowds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days are just suppose to be perfect and clearly this was one of them.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely way to spend the day - I adore picnics - food seems to taste so good in the fresh-air. I had a flask of hearty soup at the workshop today, the geese gathered round to share the crusty bread at lunchtime and we all sat far too long enjoying the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh just lovely lovely lovely! Looks just perfect to me! Can't believe your son was only in a tshirt though - clearly very tough!! (I am a wimp!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your son looks sooooo much like you that it's uncanny! That sounds like my kind of day - relaxed, gentle and family-based. I hope you feel rested too!

    Sarahxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like the perfect kind of day, what a lovely Mum you are

    ReplyDelete
  8. i don't think a visit in the city holds a candle to a day like this. i so want to be sitting on that gorgeous plaid blanket. i treasure the memories of my boys running through fields with the dogs and kicking leaves. time flies...i think your decision was perfect and of the mo, as you would say! xo janet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alice, my son is the readybrek kid of the 70s ad, always hot! His coat and hat ended up in the picnic basket after about 5 minutes, one of my enduring memories of being a mum will be carrying his coat on walks!!

    All, thanks for your sweet comments and Hooray for winter picnics, I think we have started a new family tradition today! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect way to spend an extra unexpected 'holiday' ... and with your beautiful pictures it feels like we came too :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness Belinda, it is hard to believe we live in the same country looking at these pictures!! There is not a leaf left on any tree here after the gales and rain of the past few days. And today has been wild again with the rain returning this evening. How lovely that you had such a happy day out with your children. And your pictures capture that just perfectly! Abby xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Twenty-five years from now they will say to each other, "remember when the teachers were on strike and mom took us on a picnic ...?" It will be one of those special memories of childhood. So glad you got to spend it with your most precious possessions.

    And, I like that pink fungi. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely lovely post, and great inspiration for a hot chocolate picnic! It is always the simple things that make the best memories. My girls and I have made an alternative advent calendar, with 25 ideas for small simple things that we can do over the period, my little girl wants to play Christmas dinosaurs and my big girls wants to put photos of jesus all over the village (not sure how I am going to get out of that one!!) and I want us to make up a christmas poem. Hopefully it will be an advent that they remember for all the right reasons. Your blog is beautiful and I adore your jewellery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful trip out, far better than noisy crowdy shops. Hubbyman and me did a similar trip out yesterday and it was fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your picnic day sounded just fine to me. Much better than a visit to London, or to the other places you named.
    I´m sure, that something like this, is what your children will remember as one of the nicest times from their childhood.
    Once again, thank you for the lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Belinda,

    You chose a beautiful day for a picknick. Isn't it amazing that we still have such beautiful weather in December?!

    Have a lovely evening,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful photos, sounds like a lovely day! I could really have done with a day off yesterday but no one at my school striked so I had to work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds just like my perfect kind of day.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Greetings from the Amish community of Lebanon,pa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Belinda, good for you! I think you did the best possible thing, sometimes we rush around too much and forget the beauty on our own doorstep. Your children look happy anyway! Have a great week, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds 100 times better than walking round London for the day!
    Beautiful photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. sometimes the simplest of pleasures are the most pleasing......and there is little better than hot choc out of a thermos on a cold day....although judging by the lack of attire, you must have had a warmer day than us in the Highlands!
    Katie x

    ReplyDelete