March 21, 2012

my creative space

 I was getting slightly fraught about the mess my jewellery workbench was in, it is very easy to get tools and findings and all the bits a pieces in a bit of a jumble, especially when there isn't much organised storage space.

But then I had a chat to a local mum who has her own carpentry business (I know, how cool!), and she came up with the idea of making pigeon-hole shelves out of upcycled oak floorboards. They arrived recently, sized to fit my lovely Leifheit glass jars.


Now that the morass of bits and pieces are all organised in their jars, I feel all organised and perky and ready-to-go. I know, I have seriously got to get out more. It is embarrassing how jolly a few organised glass jars can make me. Saddo!



But the truth is that somehow an uncluttered, or at least ordered, workspace, seems to free up space in my head. Creative space is both physical and mental isn't it?  It's micro and macro, inside the mind and outside in the real, physical world. They all have to be in a good place for the creative juices to flow best, I find. Synchronicity I suppose.

The best thing about having my studio in a corner of my house, is that this room, that I love so much, is all around me as I work, and that black woodburner has been keeping me toasty all winter. Now Spring is here, I can open the garden door and hear the birds singing. Life is good.




shared at our creative spaces blog.

16 comments:

  1. that chest! omg belinda, it is so gorgeous. tell me about it! please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Luuuvvvvving the pussy willow, ouuuuu
    that velvety zing through the finger tips
    sooooooooo georgeous!!!!!!!!!!
    Very homely, it must feel wonderful to be creative
    in this environment Belinda
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same, I do my creating in a corner of the living room. Mine has a more contemporary look though - red leather sofas, black glass wall hung fire (once mistaken for a large flat screen tv!) and mid-century modern style furniture. Yours looks sooooooo much nicer, such a lovely room :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jars look great, I'll share my space on my blog soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh yeah, I'm so messy but when my mind is full I need to organise and declutter and sort and then suddenly things in my mind fit into place. It looks great! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea and super execution! We all need to get the clutter out of the way, but so seldom do it. Can't wait to see what new goodies your uncluttered mind will produce. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. No wonder you are so creative. What a lovely space and what perfect shelves.

    Never come to the flower shop it is total chaos.

    We have to create our peace inside.

    Not always easy.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really, really lovely, Belinda.

    I remember when Guy noticed that our jars fitted perfectly into our kitchen shelves, as though it was a bizarre coincidence!! He was surprisingly impressed that I'd planned them that way!

    Sxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful pigeon-hole shelves. It's fantastic when something can be so practical and yet so beautiful in it's own right. Nothing feels better than a lack of clutter and a bit of organisation. Sadly, I haven't got the willpower to ensure that my home is like that ALL of the time, but on those days when the urge for a good clear out takes me - gosh is it satisfying! LOVE your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing worse than being unable to find tools or materials because of disorder....or losing creative time due to having to rake about for something crucial, yet when you are creative, often being tidy is not part of your nature, is it?! The shelves are wonderful and your jars simple and lovely. Looking forward to seeing you latest creations and more of your house too, please!!
    Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I would love that desk for my crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. igh, i want your space!!!! my desk is always a mess, even 5 minutes after i tidy it! i think i need more room, but then i think i would just create more mess!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it is looking really good as though it is meant to be there- by the way what cut and come again salad seeds did you use and are they in the garden or a container?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous creative space. Looks like photographs from a magazine shoot! And your new little pigeon holes are perfect! Happy creating! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I am sure I commented on this because I had an attack of shelf envy! Not sure where it has gone but I do love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahahaha I can understand your excitment - your shelves are lovely. I'm working on my corner of the house right now and I just want it to be finished damn it!!

    ReplyDelete