April 30, 2012

flowers and grabbing the moment

So, the last day of April. What an utter wash out it has been - apparantly the wettest since records began in 1909 or somesuch. I am close to growing gills, no lie (well, small lie). My tulips and narcissi were parched in March and are now rotting.

But the grass is green again and there is a decent amount of water back in our tiny river so it's not all doom and gloom. And the brief moments of sun have been so sparkly and beautiful in comparison to the leaden grey. In those lovely, rare moments of blue sky, I have sat in the sun and savoured the warmth,  I have weeded, and picked flowers, walked the dog, taken photos and kicked a great number of footballs to my aspiring young goalie. Those times have felt especially enchanted for all their scarcity.

The tulips seemed to glow with the sunlight in their lovely apricot bowls,


and the last of the narcissi were almost as transluscent.


I had to stand and look, as the sun shone, and really appreciate the pinks and purples in our newish tear-shaped flower bed, relish my little rivers of tulips before the rain and hail bashed half of them over. :(





Even the cutting patch, horribly neglected due to the weeks of torrential rain, is looking halfway to ok, tulips, anemones, narcissi and euphorbia - all battling against the unfriendly elements.


Some of these blooms have made their ways indoors, not as many as if I had been spending more time in the garden, where I find it hard to resist a little flower picking most days.

Here are a few I picked today, a funny little mishmash, but so much has been damaged by the rain, I just wanted a little bit of everything that still looks perky!









There is lots more flowery goodness going on over at Jane's today, go and have a gander! xx

16 comments:

  1. Oh good here you are. It's just not a party till you show up with your homegrown goodness.

    Though Webb is running a close second with her cutting garden and mad design skills!

    Thank you for having us over. Now go lay down!

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the sweetest arrangements start out as a mishmash in our hand. Lovely...lovely little flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mishmash works beautifully...something about purple and white I think. The tulips are lovely, enjoy the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous... I just love seeing all the flowers that aren't available for us here (in Australia) right now... reminds me of how exciting September will be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely colors! Wish I had your space, now that you've given me the inspiration. One of these days, I may have to dig up the side yard for a bigger cutting space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite that downpour your flowers look radiant in their beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great color combinations. Thanks for inspiring.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its hard to pick a favorite when there are so many sweet flower faces to look at! So pretty! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tulips in your garden look beautiful Belinda. There are so many! The little bouquet looks very pretty too. I love taking flowers from the garden inside too. I think flowers from your own garden make the prettiest bouquets!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Truly adore seeing such beautiful pictures of your garden and bouquets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those purples are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the colors in your bouquet! the delights in your garden. bless you. such a joy to see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiflowers! Late spring's bounty, even after rain :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. You say Mishmash - I say magificent - how does the song go? "You say potAto and I say POTato..!" anyway - they're gorgeous flowers - I dream of a cuttings garden. Good to catch up with you (I've been absent from Blogland for a long while, so slowly catching up with old friends from my early days!) Your garden looks fantastic as ever - despite the weather. The upside as you say, is that I've never seen the grass look SO green - it's magical in it's way. Paula x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! What a feast for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete