June 25, 2012

flowers fit for a party

I really wanted to do a post to join in with Jane's monthly 'flowers in the house' party, 'cos I hate to miss a chance to party, especially if Jane is hosting, but the day turned into a work marathon, and the flowers never quite made it into the house. So I am coming to the party under false pretences, with no lovely bouquets picked today. :(

I am hoping I'll be let in if I show you what the best bits of my English garden look like in mid June, and a few bunches that have been made over the last week? Does that pass muster, am I allowed to party?!

So the cutting patch is finally in full flouncy flowermyheadoff mode - haphazard, but I quite like that in a country garden, especially if the grass is freshly mown and the borders have crisp edges, kind of contains the madness!



 There has been so much rain, the lawn (lawn? lumpy bumpy, daisy strewn area of grass and weeds!) is a wonderful green which we are enjoying while it lasts - all soft under bare feet and smells gorgeous and herbaceous when mown - love that smell!


If you look closely in some of these photos you might see some staking - I never do enough, but it does make a huge difference if plants aren't smothering eachother and breaking when the weight gets too much.







I'm loving the zingy acid lime green and punchy purples, it will all be over by mid July, so I'm relishing the brightness while it is there.




There are also pots scattered around, not loads because I am a lazy waterer, but they are fun.



Some of these flowers have made their way into bouquets. With many flowers, especially the annuals, if you snip just above a bud it actually increases the flowering which seems generous of the plants really and I love them for it!








Anyhoo, that is my little party offering. Have a great week all, hope you, and I, find the time to smell the flowers!

19 comments:

  1. Your cutting garden is a delight, makes me want to hop on the next boat across the pond. I think those beautiful bouquets qualify as "in the house"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like lime green with purples. All the things you got our of that fantastic garden of yours are phenomenal.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. our = out
      (my fingers were too happy)

      Delete
  3. I just want to dive into those beds, pull a cover of lady's mantle over my head and go to sleep.

    Heavenly. So much work but so worth it.

    oh to be in England!

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beauty--exactly the way I picture the perfect cutting garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are my garden gurĂº ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lime green and purple are my favorite combo! Your garden is a dream! Enjoy the rain, our grass is brown, brown prickly brown. Love the posies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Youza, your cutting garden is beautiful. I agree with Jen, just how it should look in my mind. I think your bouquets and the garden definitely qualify to be in the party. Looks so fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet, delicate bouquets Belinda. just gorgeous and the garden looks divine. So much going on there, it must a be a joy to spend time outside.
    It's Winter here and there's very little happening in my garden, but I have high hopes for Spring and Summer......it's always good to have a dream.

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  9. I with you Belinda; I love the lime and purple combination, and your posies are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dreamed of alliums last night. This can only be your doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden is looking fabulous and so are your bouquets....english cottage flowers are the best.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This lovely post just brightened my day even more. Fabulous colour. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  13. ahhh, your garden is so dreamy, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belinda..looking fabulous. Love the bouquets. Sinead x

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mouth is hanging open with the splendor! Am so totally jealous. It's just lovely out in your beds. it's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful variety of flowers. The bouquets are divine. You have your own little Eden.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Completely beautiful. LOVE acid green and purple together.. and your garden is a treat. Makes me want to be back in England this very minute! X

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a pretty garden - lots of lovely flowers to be picked too - I'm very envious.

    ReplyDelete