July 30, 2012

flowers in the house

Woah, it has been a tough morning at Wild Acre.

Two large steel wires were removed from my youngest son's wrist without any anesthetic. I freely admit, having seen x-rays of them passing through both broken bones in his little forearm, this has been a morning I have been dreading.  We set off this morning via the village shop where we bought a football mag and a paper bag of sweeties, because when you aren't really feeling the courage to face the fear, you really might as well fling footie mags and sweets at it instead.  The strawberry shoelace was a good distraction and I am proud to say he was stoic to the last, and the surgeon was fast and efficient and kind. And I didn't end up out cold on the floor, which was a bonus.

I can't help thinking of kids and their parents who have to go through painful procedures on a regular basis - they are properly heroic, and those mums, who I know like me would so desperately rather have these things done to their bodies not only to spare their kids the pain (although clearly that is the primary reason) but to spare themselves the horror of watching by helplessly. I do so hope they get support from the hospitals...

Anyway, after all that, a congratulatory milk shake in town for the young fella and some time in the garden were very welcome. And the perfect moment to breathe out, look at the July loveliness all around and take a few shots of flowers in the Wild Acre house for Jane's flower party.

In the house, the flowers are super simple at the moment - don't get me wrong I love full on arrangements, but actually, the really simple, to the point of spare, ones are what really float my boat because they look so carefree and artless and nonchalant - they seem to speak of summer meadows and waysides and a snip here and there in a garden and that simplicity is so restful. Here are remnants from some pruning - a few roses in an antique lemonade bottle. What's not to love really, and the lack of any other flowers makes one really notice the colours and shapes, the curl of the petals and the swoony graduations of those sunset-y tones.





I'm guessing those hot corals and cool aquas are on the opposite sides of the colour wheel, but I love the combination. The other surprise I am loving is garden grown gypsophila, so reviled for its horrid, crispy little blooms and dodgy smell in florist shops, but garden grown, fresh and arching and full of life, arranged/plonked all on its own, well I rather like it even if the fashion police jail me forever. To be honest the annual elegans variety is the most beautiful - much larger flowers and softer appearance but the Spring deluges here did for my seeds sadly.


So here is to the simple, pared back moments of pleasure we can take when the seas feel a little rougher than normal -  here is to a cup of tea on the garden steps, smelling the flowers and watching swifts swoop over the barn roof, here is to a rose in funny little bottle, to squeezing the hand of someone who really needs it, and to the long awaited smile in the eyes of some one you care about. These moments matter don't they, because how else is the heart to be replenished but by Love?

25 comments:

  1. So, you've gone to the extremes today - hot, hot roses and cool pitcher of gypsophilia. I love them both. Wish I could levitate myself to your garden today. It's so dry here and everything looks awful.

    Glad the wire removal went well. Kids are amazingly resilient, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simplicity speaks volumes, this is just sooooo pretty. And quite a lot after your very scary morning, just reading about it gave me goosebumps. Hope he's doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is doing so well, just off to tuck him into bed. x

      Delete
  3. Phew. You can tick that day off your list now and move forward. Love and sweeties are good answers, whatever the question.
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love and sweeties indeed. Or love and cake, my other favourite combo! xx

      Delete
  4. Well done to that little man for being so brave and to you for not keeling over. One of the worst things I've had to do with mine is hold 2 year old little son whilst his head was stitched back together.

    Gorgeous flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems you handled it all oh so well and ended with these lovely peaceful vases of blooms. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, not sure I was very brave, sometimes you just have to hide how you feel inside and get on with it don't you? Thanks for your kind words. x

      Delete
  6. You were both in my thoughts first thing this am. So glad it's a done deal. What a trooper he, actually you both are.

    Thank God you had a garden to return to, otherwise the two of you might be propped up in a pub swilling it down and watching the Olympics.

    xo and xoxox jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane thanks so much for that, it was lovely to know you had us on your radar!

      Pub and olympics might have happened if it was my 17 year old! xx

      Delete
  7. Its hard to be a mama & watch our kids go through anything that is painful. (Harder on us sometimes than them, I think....) I know what you mean though about parents who go through that everyday. I don't know how they do it. (Glad everything is okay!) I love the coral & aqua! Its an awesome lemonade bottle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for understanding.

      and 'getting' the lemonade bottle too, I just love them!:)

      Delete
  8. Valerie Taccolini30 July 2012 at 12:47

    Oh Belinda, my heart is aching for your young lad! Having four boys, I have "been there, done that" a few times, and NEVER get better at it! And to then juxtapose that experience with your commentary on wild flower arrangements...how do you do it?! I haven't an artistic bone in my body, and envy your abilities! Here, we are still in "drought" mode, so the lawn is yellow, the impatiens very small, and no buds on the peonies this spring. Even the tiger lilies struggle to produce! Sounds like you have become quite the gardner...tell me how you got there!! I'd love to hear. =) Missing you, Valerie Taccolini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerieeee! So lovely to read your lovely words on my blog! About the artistic thing - how about all your singing, music, acting - oh my gosh if I could sing like you! i love the way artistic expression comes in so many different forms...

      As for gardening - the bug bit suddenly 12 years ago out of nowhere but being faced with a rutted field for a garden to our new home. The totally blank canvas just got me hooked and I worked in a horticultural nursery now and again when the kids were younger, learning from some real experts. It really is the case though, that the more you learn the more you realise how little you know!

      Hugs to you, and when you next speak to Judith, a wave from Blighty to her too! Bx

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear it all went well and he managed to get a milkshake and some sweeties out of such a traumatic situation! :-)

    Love your last paragraph, love it. Beautifully put.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa P from the Hollyhock Wall30 July 2012 at 13:24

    These things are sent to try us, are they not,things like this make us stronger and in time your young man will become stronger and wiser.
    Little consolation for the traumatic events but just knowing that a strong supportive family are there for each other(as well as the sweet shop) will get you through most things.
    Take Care X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh poor kid, that sounds GRIM - hope he's ok now. And poor you too - watching and feeling helpless isn't a good feeling! I'm lucky that my kids have (as yet) never had much wrong with them. I'm not very stoic when it comes to them. My son had to have a tooth out a few months ago due to an overcrowded mouth and that was bad enough!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the beauty of your flowers and gardens brings peace and wellness your family and home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the simple white gypsophila arrangement. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that healed quickly!! I'm sure these things are worse for the mothers in some ways!! I hope you bought some boor laces for you too!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Belinda, I've just chosen your blog for an award. I hope that is o.k. with you. Please do pop over and have a look! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. glad the wires are out, it means the healing is going well, well done to both of you.
    enjoy those simple pleasures, take time to breath them in x

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are both quite beautiful. I also prefer one-note bouquets, they are just making the statement that they are themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  18. sounds like you have one tough chap there....well anything for a strawberry shoelace eh!!....

    ReplyDelete