July 04, 2012

I knew June was going to be a little nutso, what with my jewellery Private View, jubilee celebrations, school fairs and sport days and much more in between, but it looks like July is going the same way, and I am feeling that I am losing my grip on summer and it is passing in a flurry of work and events and deluges of rain. Help! I am also way behind with my blog reading, but I will get there in the end!

So as an antidote to all the crazy, I spent most of last weekend in the garden, waist high in flowerbeds.



, weeding and staking and stopping now again for cups of tea and the lovely weekend mealtimes when the six of us tend to finally catch up with eachother properly after the demands of the week. I dunno, but sitting down to eat as a family, especially at the weekends or holidays when time pressures are off, they are totally intrinsic to our sense of being a unit, particularly as the teens are growing up so fast with increasingly busy lives of their own. Frankly, the holidays can't come fast enough!

The garden is growing lush and full, loving all this rain for the most part but plants are getting heavy and wayward, some of them snapping under the weight of their wet flowers. Every year, I say I will stake earlier, and every year I run around at the last moment flinging pea sticks and metal stakes towards wonky looking flowers that always grow taller and quicker than I remember!

Still, I have been spoilt for choice with this week's bouquets - delphiniums, campanulas, astrantia, salvias, veronica, poppy seedheads, drumstick allium buds, pinks, euphorbia, alchemilla mollis, mint and cornflowers have been the stars of the show this week. The bouquets have been bought by friends and friends of friends and were bought for birthday celebrations,  a funeral and as tokens of thanks. Really it is all such a priviledge to be involved in these important interactions and events between people, I can't  think of a lovelier or more satisfying way to enjoy my flowers.
















The Graham Thomas roses were just for me, I am not brave enough to sell them, anyone know how to make them reliably last more than three days as a cut flower?

This weekend I am exhibiting my jewellery at the Childwickbury Art Fair near St Albans, if you live anywhere nearby please brave the odd shower and come and see the most amazing range of art and artists, many of them demonstrating as well as showing - including a blacksmith forging metal. There is all sorts of yummy food, fun stuff for the kids and live music too, like a little mini art festival really. Better get to my jewellery bench then! xx

16 comments:

  1. your flowers look truly amazing. and your garden is sunny. I am beyond envy. hope the art fair goes well xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooohhhh your garden is so beautiful Belinda and I know exactly what you mean about the Summer passing by in a flurry of activities and rain. We were lucky to only have the one sports day cancelled.

    A beautiful posy and I hope you find a little calm soon.

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. sensational bouquets as always Belinda...mu garden has run away and joined the circus without so much as a backwards glance! OUT OF CONTROL! The only good things are the hydrangeas as they are so mature and large they sort of make the borders look OK'ish*
    I am trying to plan a big get together at the weekend but the weather is so churlish it's an on/off job... at the moment its on! We will see. Good luck at the Fair this weekend, I'm sure you'll do really well,

    Sarah -x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you managed your get together between downpours, it really is getting biblical isn't it?! x

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous flowers, but frustrating. My poppies, ladys mantle and campanula are long gone, but astrantia hasn't even started to bloom.. no fair .. youget it all at once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel very positive about our climate, especially with the incessant rain this year, but I suppose the lower temps let plants flower longer? Hope your astrantia get going soon. If you cut the lady's mantle right back, you might get it to flower again, not as much, but it will look fresh? xx

      Delete
  5. Belinda - your photographs are absolutely stunning. Have you thought about getting some made into postcards / notelets? Especially those roses - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I have recently thought I would love to make a few into postcards, might do it one day! :)

      Delete
  6. If ever there were a post (or blog) that will keep me trying with my garden it is this.

    I think I will work through your archives to see what you are doing and when so I have a chance of getting it right. Green fingered I am not!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that is so nice to hear! If you want to grow plants with flowers to cut, check out the cutting patch course under the labels section for bags of info! Let me know how you get on, I love hearing!xx

      Delete
  7. Your flowers are gorgeous, love all those blues. Mine is getting all droopy, unbearable heat and no rain here, could use some of yours. Or I'll just pop in and look at your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my days, we need a weather swap, the rain is getting unbearable hear, no summer at all! xx

      Delete
  8. Looking good. Sorry to hear about your sons wrist. Hope the weekend goes well. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlotte, It has been a grim time for the wee man, but he is very stoic. The fair was a bit of a washout weather-wise, but had fun and sold some pieces so all good. xx

      Delete
  9. Belinda, love the big bold blue bouquets.

    I would be a devoted client.

    Hope your son is dealing, what a bummer for the summer.

    It just sucks, as does your weather and ours too.

    Summer: not all it's cracked up to be!

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just awarded you a Kreativ Blogger Award, you'll see what it is on my blog. Seems a fun and harmless way to connect with other bloggers.

    Charlotte x

    ReplyDelete