August 27, 2012

end of summer flowers

Today it is windy and cool and I am back in skinny jeans, a long sleeved t-shirt and checked shirt - it all feels like a bit like autumn is on its way.

The colours in the garden are slipping into the russets, rich burgundies and deep pinks of autumn too - the sedums doing their annual flush into gorgeous rich pinks and the dahlias flowering their nearly black hearts out. It means lots of lovely new flowers for the house and to make up into bouquets.



A strange perk of the topsy turvey weather this year is that I have sweetpeas still in flower - I have never had sweetpeas and dahlias out together, but am enjoying the treat!




So there's plenty still to pretty up the house, and if you want to see what some other lovely flower fans are picking for their vases, head over to Jane's flower party, and say I sentchya'! :)

17 comments:

  1. I am silent in admiration. Those colors, those dahlias and more sweet peas.

    I am overcome.

    Thank you for raising the bar at the party.

    Limbo anyone?

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very jealous of those dahlias... my so-called dark reds and blacks have all come up acid yellow and scarlet. So not me. So not gorgeous in my whitish, mauvish, bluish garden.
    And yes, there is a definite autumness out there. And the looming thought of this-time-next-week deep in my head...
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nooo! Rest of your garden sounds similar colours to mine, love that combo!

      Delete
  3. Wow, breathtaking! I love the saturated colors... and am so ready for the deep dark colors of autumn. Always love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful Belinda. All those warm colours! You still have sweet peas! Mine are almost gone.

    Have a happy new week,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, that does it--next year I need to plant some sweetpeas, they just make me swoon. Those dahlias are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sweetpeas are just too fabulous in that bunch all together....glorious colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Japanese anemones are especially lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want your dahlias! Mine did a great big nothing! Yours re pretty enough for me to tryagain next year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, really beautiful dahlias. Sweet peas and dahlias at the same time DOES seem really weird but they look awesome together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think there's a nicer way to make a room smell lovely than to put sweetpeas in it. So summery, so colourful and so perfumed. Love your blog. xCathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! and I agree, no lovelier smell! x

      Delete
  11. Lovely photos...
    My sweetpeas are just ready for a second flowering...
    We have had such dry hot weather here in Ontario...
    Hoping for a glorious Fall...

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Japanese anemones are one of my favorites. I have 'Honorine Jobert'. Mine have not yet started to bloom.

    ReplyDelete