August 18, 2012

soppy in norfolk

There is only one other place in the world, other than the lovely, lopsided old barn we called home, that really wraps  me up in its arms and nurtures me somehow, and that is the summer home of my childhood near the north norfolk coast. I have posted about it before, but the few short days we have just spent there, did their same old magic, it sounds so sappy I know, but places that you love and are part of your history have that effect, no?

I don't know if it is simply because I have spent so much time there with four generations of my family now, or whether it is something about the way the roses flop over the windowpanes,


or the way the honeysuckle has always grown waywardly around the front door, or whether it is those ancient flint walls and the glimpses of the farmland beyond, but the whole place plays utter mad havock with my heart!







I literally pat the old walls occasionally, linger an extra second at a window or as I push a door open... and can almost touch memories. I am not sure this is totally normal behaviour (ha! no need to answer that!;)) but I think it is just my way of savouring the place, remembering how lucky I am to still  have a place belonging to our family that holds so many good memories. Gah, so soppy!




We were really lucky with the weather (and it is capricious there!), and we can never really believe how empty the beaches are if you are prepared to walk a few minutes from the car parks. Especially near the beginning of the day or late in the afternoon, the coast is so empty and so breathtaking.







It is always SO hard leaving.



Incidentally, in order to keep it on, my parents rent our house out on a week stay basis, so you could see it for yourself!  :) - do email me if you would like details.

42 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like a place I would like to move into and forget about all my woes and troubles and just relax!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely house. And that is the area I was brought up in too so it holds lots of memories and strong pulls for me too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets under your skin doesn't it - those huge skies and empty beaches?

      Delete
  3. It looks like a beautiful place Belinda!

    Have a lovely weekend,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a place to visit one day? Lots of lovely stately homes and beautiful gardens to look round!

      Delete
  4. wow...that seascape and sky are just amazing....x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can feel the lovely Norfolk air through your words, you very soppy friend. Love it all!!! and hope to see you soon for some garden appreciation/inspiration! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your lovely words have me reaching for my suitcase...you soppy friend! Hope to hook up soon for some garden inspiration/appreciation... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the north Norfolk coast - I spent many happy weekends in Brancaster in my late teens and early twenties!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Brancaster! We spent a very happy afternoon there this summer.

      Delete
  8. I would truly love to spend a week there... maybe someday. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see why it is hard to leave. It's good to have some home ground and people to go back to there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh it looks heavenly, I don't think I'd be able to tear myself away... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snap! Just returned from a beautiful Norfolk sojourn...did our paths cross? Not sappy, simply lovely. We have a similar spot in Cornwall, my heart beats a little faster the closer we are to it!

    Sarah -x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We probably went to lots of the same spots!x

      Delete
  12. Oh how beautiful, the stone, the sea, the sky , your photos are glimpses into the way we wish life could be.

    Now I'll try and adjust my Sunday accordingly.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful scenes! The ratio of sky to sand in the beach images is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can imagine how happy you must feel there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lucky to have it still in the family. x

      Delete
  15. Am on my way to Suffolk - a different landscape does it for me every time (different from mountainous Argyll!) Norfolk too is lovely as your beautiful photographs show. I love holidaying in UK, so much variety..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a small island but such huge variety, you are right we are all v lucky to live here.

      Delete
  16. Stunning! Will email you as now we live in East Anglia, we're keen to explore the North Norfolk coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really worth exploring, loads to see and do, thinking of doing a post of my favourite places to visit?

      Delete
  17. I could seriously fall in love just by looking at your pictures Belinda - simply gorgeous.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Owning your own place in Norfolk must be the ultimate in 'things to which I aspire'. I adore Norfolk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents house was due for demolition in the 60s and they got it for a song - so lucky, and so great it was saved!

      Delete
  19. Beautiful pictures! groetjes, Gerda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhhh I do like to be beside the seaside.... just like you!
    If only holidays would come around more often...... dreaming.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - so wish we could get there more often! x

      Delete
  21. Belinda, arrived here by bloghopping, but your beautiful photos instantly caught my attention. My former home was on the suffolk border, and my late dad had a boat on the east coast so i know how beautiful it is. I now live in Dorset, and the south dorset coast is also stunning, but its very different. We are so lucky that our little country has so much to offer, so varied, so beautiful. I am happy down here in the SW, Its not often I have a pang for (sort of) home, but today, looking at your pics, i did.

    Leanne x
    talesofsimpledays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi Leanne, it is hard to take a bad photo in Norfolk! thanks for visiting, I will hop over and visit you now! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my, what a beauty and I love your photos, so tantalizing. When can I move in please?

    ReplyDelete