September 05, 2012

Inspiration: the coast

We try and spend some time by the sea in the summer, and by September all the lovely images and textures and sounds of the coast begin to feed into my jewellery designs.






 I have never done a 'coastal' range before, but I think I have enough ideas now to formulate one for 2013. I shall be spending lots of time this autumn and winter at my jewellery bench trying to create shapes in precious metal from the wealth of memories in my mind. The haunting marshes of north norfolk, the huge expanses of sand imprinted with the eddies of the retreating tide, the tiny, sea-smoothed pebbles and spiral-shaped, roughly ribbed shells left on the tide line - all these things are filling my mind and I hope will find ways of interpreting their patterns and curves in my jewellery.






So, plenty of material to work towards a coastal - inspired range for 2013, watch this space!

18 comments:

  1. .....I will be watching......, love the coast and all things associated with it,.... Best of British Belinda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so lucky in the UK, so much variety in the landscape - infinite inspiration!x

      Delete
  2. .....I will be watching......, love the coast and all things associated with it,.... Best of British Belinda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great inspiration for a coastal collection Belinda....have you considered incorporating tiny pieces of washed sea glass in silver rings or earrings perhaps? The colours are so soft and delicate...
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly norfolk,unlike the north east, has precious little in the way of sea glass. However, a friend of my daughter collects it on her travels and says I can pick what I like - whoop! I hope to incorporate some. x

      Delete
  4. Beautiful images - I adore North Norfolk beaches - big skies and expanses. Looking forward to your new range - exciting and thank you so much for coming on over to the new blog! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, so excited you are in Blightly for a year! Laura from Happy Homemaker Uk, an american ex-pat - you may well read her blog? - is organising a bloggers meet up in London this autumn, might be fun to get to meet some bloddies?! Bx

      Delete
  5. These are beautiful pictures. My kids love the ocean and go to it as often as they can. There is a peace to be found for them there. What a special place for you to visit.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there is a kind of peace at the coast, especially wild areas of coast - I think it might be the huge expanses of sea, kind of gets life into perspective?

      Delete
  6. Have lived nearly all my life in the Norfolk area, actually that is my birthplace. have to tell you that I prefer yours. so rustic, so lovely, so NOT over-developed! it's just beautiful. can't wait to see how you represent it in jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come and visit the original Norfolk - perfect excuse!:)))

      Delete
  7. I love those pictures of the light on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading how your mind translates it into jewelry. Lovely photos - it looks so serene!

    I'd love to invite you to 'Blogger's Tea' in London - it would be great to meet you! Pop over to my blog for details :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh I can't wait to see it. anything coastal is guaranteed to be my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely, i live a minute wal from the sea and i just dont go there and areciate it enough!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does sound exciting, I shall wait impatiently.

    ReplyDelete