September 01, 2012

inspirations: summer's end

I think this is one of my very favourite moments of year, as summer draws to its end. September starts a whole new season of possibilities - there is an energy greater even than the turn of the calender year I think, quickened by the smell of sharpened pencils and new school uniforms and the first of the autumn bonfires.

Certainly I feel that tinge of melancholy that summer is over, but where we live the weather is often so wonderful in early september and the light is just beautiful.  There are still cosmos and anemones and some late planted loveinthemist to retain the feeling of summer,









The garden is full of the rich, venetian colours of late summer, and because they will be gone soon, somehow their beauty is even poignant, so I take time to really look and enjoy.





The nights and early mornings are colder but the softly slanting light  and afternoon warmth more than makes up for it, and it is lovely to light the first evening fires of the year.

Most of all, I find so much creative inspiration in late summer and early autumn. All the delicacy of seedheads and grass infloresences are waist high along the paths I walk, and those amazing shapes are the ones I love to explore in silver. It is impossible not to be inspired by the field margins at the moment.




Wouldn't these shapes be amazing in 18ct gold or silver? I can't wait to get cracking!

Which is all great timing because as of next weekend I am taking part in Hertfordshire Open Studios, when artists open their studios to visitors and exhibit their work. I am actually showing my jewellery every sunday afternoon at the studio of a fantastic local ceramicist, Carole Sender and we will be joined by the artist and photographer, Vanessa Champion who will be showcasing some amazing photographs from her work with two charities in Mumbai. We kick off with a big celebration next saturday night - with sangria, tapas and live flamenco guitar - should be quite a night, do email me if you would like further details, I would love to meet some bloddies!

25 comments:

  1. I love this time of year too. The anticipation of fires, chunky knitwear, stews, socks and hunkering down with mugs of tea and good TV or books.
    Those anemones are gorgeous- I cannot get them to grow in my garden.
    Enjoy the start of school!! Not looking forward to having to get up and out of the house, Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it weird what will grow and won't for you? I have problems with anything that minds a chalky soil, but anemones of all sorts grow like weeds!

      With you on the school run - grrroan! x

      Delete
  2. That/those leaf ring/s is/are gorgeous!
    I am also looking forward to Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are about to go in the online shop. x

      Delete
  3. Your garden and these images brought me great joy. Thanks for sharing and wishing you much success in your jewellery exhibition

    Helenx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, I feel honoured by your comments.

      Delete
  4. I love this time of year too - from the cooler mornings to those warm indian summer days. Making the most of the remaining 'warm' weather to catch up on jobs I meant to do during the 6 week hols!!

    Gorgeous photos as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flowers in your garden look beautiful Belinda. I recognise several familiar ones. Your rings look lovely!!

    Have a lovely Sunday!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have managed to make the lowers of autumn look so fresh and clean. Not all the the bindweed, blackened leaves I see out my window.

    Do you get bindweed?

    And I too love those rings. Once again you separated the superfluous from clean, fresh beauty.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jane, this year bindweed has been AWFUL - I never used to get it - WAILLLLLL! What to do with it, I can never get all the root out and hate spraying. Love a bit of bindweed -excluding cropping with the camera!x

      Delete
  7. Stunning photographs and you're so right September is a beautiful month. One of my favourites. Good luck with the Open Studios event - your work is wonderful. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. Isn't the sunshine glorious at the moment? x

      Delete
  8. Your photos remind me of the ones I posted about end of summer on my blog! I love the leaf rings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pop over and look at your end of summer pics!

      Delete
  9. Those leaf rings are absolutely beautiful.

    The event sounds simply wonderful...I'm trying to work out if we can get there logistics-wise. I'm thinking probably not....12-week old baby and four children two days back at school....but still hoping!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, absolutely didn't expect you to make it, but wanted you to know you were invited! x

      Delete
  10. oh cosmos! One of my favourites. I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too love September weather, your flowers are gorgeous as always. Those leaves will make astonishing jewelry, can't wait to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to make a few samples this week. Can't wait!

      Delete
  12. As ever, lovely photos. I went to a lovely local Inn yesterday where new borders have been planted since last year and they looked stunning, just sorry I hadn't got my camera, the plum coloured Echinacea was just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love echinacea, saving some pennies to get some more! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. breath taking! Can't wait to see what you make!

    I love your photos x

    ReplyDelete
  15. absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see what you make :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete