December 28, 2012

Family and food and the inbetween days

Isn't there something so special about the inbetween days after Christmas day and before New Year?

Time to relax, enjoy a hiatus in the busy-ness, see the people you love the most, nibble delicious leftovers, think about the year ahead, consider the year that has passed.....i love it all. All pressure off, no rushing, no expectations....

Today we caught up with my side of the family and had a gorgeous and leisurely afternoon of candle-lit laughter and good food. Today it was all about family.







My elder sons who have grown into men before my eyes this year, my lovely sister who is adored by all and the wonderful bonds between grandparents and their beloved grandchildren. Family is without doubt the best thing in my life and for that fact I am constantly grateful.


Really is there anything sweeter and purer than the bond between a wonderful grandpa and his grandchildren?



Of the food, may I recommend Jamie Oliver's winter coleslaw with cold roast ham, followed by mixed berry compote topped with whipped cream and blowtorched brown sugar. Honourable mention to puff pastry filled with apples and leftover mincemeat. And the 'Poinsettia' cocktail: prosecco, cointreau and cranberry juice - utterly delicious and Christmassy (see Nigella's Christmas cocktails).


Good food and better family, my favourite combo. 

Wishing you the very best inbetween days, full of relaxation and contentment. xxx

14 comments:

  1. it looks heavenly. merry Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, all of it, the people, the pictures and I have no doubt the food.

    This is my favorite time of the year. Naps galore.

    Happy, merry beautiful Belinda.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely day! Everything looks perfect. A very Happy New Year, Belinda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh how lovely! SUCH a beautiful family and such a precious time together. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look like special days indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a birthday to fit into these days... much more excitement here...
    But I agree, the inbetweens are glorious. Enjoy the next few, Ax

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heartwarming post Belinda. We're enjoying in between time too. Family, friends, food, cats, books and dreams. Enjoy every second more xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these days, too! I'm doing exactly what you're doing...reflecting, planning, resting, nesting and loving on my boys. Looking forward to another year of following your blog! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely family and cozy home! So fun to see the important people in your life. Happy new year, Belinda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photos - what good, nourishing memories too and what a lovely family you have. These few days are very different to the rest of the year, a time of letting go and allowing ourselves simply to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are making my mouth water with your description of the food and my eyes about family. Happy New Year Belinda my flower blogging pal..Sinead x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful... what great photographs yet again.... And I so agree about the bond between a grandfather and his grandchildren. Happy New Year to you Belinda.
    Sarah XX

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely celebration. The menu sounds extraordinary! Greer x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all your lovely comments, peeps, and very best wishes to you all for 2013! xx

    ReplyDelete