July 13, 2013

morning at a lavender farm

We are crazily lucky to have a working lavender farm in our local village - and one that encourages visitors to come along to pick, photograph, buy their lavender plants and products and enjoy a lunch, cream tea or cuppa in their barn cafe. Even watch open air film showings in the fields in August - I'll be watching Breakfast at Tiffany's there next month I hope. In July it is spectacular and I went this morning with my girl.








We picked, we photographed, we had a bite to eat in the cafe but mainly we wandered around in a mild, lavender-induced stupor - enchanted by the sight and scent of the fields, listening to the quiet background thrum of bees, butterflies and even crickets.






a canvas 'sail' on the edge of the fields gives pickers somewhere cool to have a sit down or drink







We came home with a big bunch of mixed lavenders we had picked, some essential oil and at my daughter's request some lavender fudge. I wasn't at all sure about the idea of lavender fudge. I am quite sure now - it is utterly delicious in a moreishly crumbly, densely sweet and aromatic sort of way.





I hope you all enjoy some high summer happiness this weekend!


18 comments:

  1. what beauty. Such gorgeous pictures. I can almost smell that lavender! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it smelled sooo amazing there, just walked around sniffing like a Bisto kid!

      Delete
  2. I was photographing lavender at the flower show, but I think I will keep those photos to myself, they are pale in comparison to these lovelies! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning pics, i'd love to have something like this near me... Hannah's right, you can almost smell it!
    Oh and if you get a chance try some lavender jelly, it's yummy on toast! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up near a lavender farm in north norfolk - your pictures make me want to go back there! Such vibrant colours, I can almost smell it from here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think we must have spent our childhoods nearby eachother (or at least my summers)?

      Delete
  5. Be still, my heart! Gorgeous. Lavender is one of those things that will grown here, but not flourish. Apparently it doesn't like the humidity either. I plant it periodically and get one plant for one year. Would just love to roll over and over in those fields. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. English lavender is so much bluer than French lavender...really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Today I am going to pick my lavender :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bliss! It will be hard to wash your hands later! x

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photographs Belinda! What a lovely young lady your daughter is! The smell of the flowers must be intoxicating. I would have loved to join you!

    Happy week,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M! Wish you could have been there! I would have treated you to tea and lavender fudge! xx

      Delete
  9. oh, wow! I discovered a lavender farm in The Cotswolds a couple of months ago and have vowed to return when it's in bloom. Maybe I won't have to go so far - where is this one?

    Stunning photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our village, come next week or at least before they harvest?! x

      Delete