July 06, 2013

set fair

So. The weather is set fair, the yurt and the hammock are up in the garden, Andy Murray is in the finals of Wimbers tomorrow and there is a Royal baby in the offing. It feels, just this second, like an enchanted summer weekend is upon us. Never mind that the spectators at the tennis are such an alarming shade of fuschia I thought at one point there was an issue with our TV's colour setting, or that our 'lawn' has gone crispy overnight or that most of us are feeling distinctly snoozy by three o'clock. There is sun, there are jugs of Pimms and there are tennis hopes!!

This comes after  a busy few weeks here at Wild Acre. My eldest two have had A levels and GCSEs, leavers' Proms and a sixth form induction. There have been sports days, concerts and summer colds. I have had a garden open day and an evening Private View - both requiring lots of prep but really worth doing and great seeing so many friends and customers and meeting new ones. I have been given some really interesting commissions to work on and of course, the  bouquet orders have kept me playing with  blooms and raffia! Here are some of the most recent ones - real high summer mixtures of delphiniums, peonies, campanulas, astrantia, Lady's Mantle, mint, euphorbia, nigella seedheads, poppy seedheads and orlaya.




  



The blast of sun has also brought out the roses - this yellow David Austin rose, Graham Thomas, is my favourite, the shape and scent are unbeatable, but I have yet to work out a way to make them last more than about 4 days in the vase, so sadly for my customers don't sell them yet. Any florists reading have any tips to share on cut rose longevity?




I am hoping to have a bit more time for blogging more often soon, I have a backlog of news to share, yummy recipes to chat about and a plethora of ideas I want to run past you lovely lot - there just don't seem to be enough hours in the day at the moment! Bear with me please, I love this friendly blog space, and look forward to spending more time here. In the meantime have a gorgeous, sunny weekend. COME ON ANDY!! xx

10 comments:

  1. Yes, you have been busy. Time to relax on the hammock and enjoy all those beautiful flowers. They're spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, the hammock is calling!:)

      Delete
  2. Rose tip:

    drop the stems into water up to the flower heads when you cut them and leave them in a cool place overnight before you arrange them in a vase. Since flowers drink from the whole stem, deep water in the arrangement is good.
    Also, Belinda, you can pick them a bit more closed and watch them open, they should last a few more days.

    Hope this is helpful.

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shelley, that is such useful info, thank you so much - I didn't know about the steeping tip! Bx

      Delete
  3. Pink peonies look like big scoops of strawberry ice cream. Deeelicious. Hope all is good with you. ax

    ReplyDelete
  4. Burying my face in those peonies.

    What beautiful bouquets.

    yes we miss you, but will be hanging about with a cool drink in hand when you return.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a lovely weekend weather wise. I spent the weekend in Falmouth taking the eldest down to move into his uni house. It was my birthday on Saturday and I got to meet Dawn French!!! Amazing x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watched Andy finally triumph! Happy. Glad to see you 'back'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These flowers are just breathtakingly lovely Belinda, and those roses are divine.

    And wasn't it a glorious weekend, culminating in Andy's win :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous thank you for sharing your lovely flower pictures......I swear I could almost smell them !!
    Love Helen xx

    ReplyDelete