August 23, 2013

Hydrangea 'limelight'

I have to confess to not having been a particular fan of hydrangeas in the past. I think because I grew up in central London, where there were many, many lanky limbed, bright pink or blue ones in front gardens, which I never thought were particularly inspiring. I remember we had a few in our little paved garden. Perhaps familiarity bred contempt.

But then I saw Hydrangea 'limelight' pop up on blogposts and gardening mags and I was intrigued by the tiny buds and deliciously pale petals. I bought one and shoved it in a pot last autumn when it was just a few scraggy stems. I wasn't sure I would love it, but I had hopes.

It has not disappointed. It is absolutely lovely, long in delicate lime green bud and longer still in creamy flower. It is substantial and delicate all at once. I am smitten.

 
 

 




And now I am hearing wonderful things about a variety called 'Annabelle" so it seems I am going to be tempted further....

14 comments:

  1. So glad it's working for you. Would love to add one, but need to find a space somewhere .... maybe tear down the carport?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love white hydrangea. I have a white one the boys bought me one Mother's day, I bought a climber last year, and have some new ones in pots on my studio deck. My mind is blank to their names, but they are all gorgeous. Your one is beautiful. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful one. I have Annabelle, huge green then pure white flower heads, I think you'll love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Limelight is the yearly star of my garden. And then you can cut it down in the spring and wait for the rapid growth explosion of loveliness.

    Guess you pushed my buttons with these pics:-)

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same about Hydrangeas, still do about most of them. But 'Annabelle' is different. Bright green leaves, glorious green buds then beautiful creamy white flowers. They last ages in a vase and dry well. I also glycerine them as well. You won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful variety 'Limelight' is. I have it in my garden too, but somehow I don't get any flowers. I have two 'Annebelle's' as well, which bloom abundantly. I can recommend them to you!

    Happy Sunday!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  7. White hydrangeas have to be among my most favourite flowers. Limelight is gorgeous and you have absolutely captured its delicate beauty. Wonderful images Belinda :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I showed that variety on my blog a few posts back! It is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photographs that you have taken. I love hydrangeas but alas they have never prospered under my care :( Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful hydrangea! I used to think they were really old-fashioned, but we have several standard pink ones in the garden here and they've really grown on me. Not half as pretty as your "limelight" though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a beauty! Sometimes I think I'd love to fill a whole side of the house with hydrangeas just to see them in late summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. how beautiful!

    They remind me of my grandmother and that is why I like them in principle. And I do love how the bloom dry and keep their shape in the winter....

    ReplyDelete