August 10, 2013

my favourite summer read

This debut novel by Vanessa Diffenbaugh has been my favourite holiday read - just perfect as that - untaxing but a wonderfully engaging, hard to put down story of different types of love, family bonds, brokenness and the struggle for redemption. And of course flowers -  growing them, arranging them, finding purpose and meaning via them. So, of course, it was book heaven for me. I made myself read it slower after half way through because I didn't want it to end - the sure sign for me of a good book! Particularly if you are fascinated by flowers, by family bonds and what creates hope in painful circumstances, (I am slightly obsessed by all three so it was a total page turner for me!), you will probably find it as hard to put down as I did! I'm not keen on the cover, but the story telling is fantastic.


8 comments:

  1. Is it British? It will take us forever to get it here if so...I'll go look it up.

    Thanks for the heads up, sounds wonderful for any season.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it is American. Think you might love it. Tough, tough bits on the losing/finding/making a family front, and the ending is a little too neat for me, but great book that is still mulling over in my mind. x

      Delete
  2. I read this a while ago and was totally taken in by it. It is on my 'to keep' bookshelf. I love the idea that bouquets can have multiple meanings. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good read. Anything to do with flowers!
    I read Santa Montefiore's The French Gardiener and loved that it was set in a lovely Dorset garden.
    Will add this to my list. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Putting this on my ` To be read ` list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for letting us know Belinda. It sounds like the sort of book I like too.

    Happy Sunday!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I already read this book and like you loved it, to flwrjane, it is available in paperback in the UK though mine had a different cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'm glad you liked it too. I thought it was sooo good too.

    ReplyDelete