September 09, 2013

the feel of september and an armful of flowers

September is one of those months laden with feeling for me - the close of summer, the clean slate feel of a new academic year with the clean pencil cases and new school shoes aplenty in this house of four kids, slanty golden light in the afternoons followed by a galloping in of darker evenings, ploughed fields and the last of the haybales disappearing into barns. A mixture of wistfulness and anticipation, misty mornings and bravado sunsets. I love it, it makes me nostalgic, I always feel vaguely unsettled but energised at this axis of the year. It is a muddle of feelings, but so much beauty to enjoy outside.

The mornings have been misty and mellow, the spiders doing their annual web extravaganza in the garden and hedgerows, (arachnophobes please look away!).






But the late afternoons, with the September sunlight and gilded clouds are always the loveliest of the year for me for some reason, and I love the way the sunbeams light up the last of the haybales and illuminate the fields with a farewell to summer.








In the midst of all this splendour, our garden is slowly beginning to fade at the edges, there are still some pretty swathes of Japanese anemones, cosmos, grasses, perovskia, rudbekia, dahlias, late season roses, sedums and scabious but elsewhere the summer blooms have sagged and dwindled, areas have been cut back and seedbeds prepared, there is no longer the feeling of fullness and new growth, the season has turned. But, there is enough still to fill a few jugs for the house and make bouquets for customers -  my favourite combination is the plums, pinks and whites of anemones, scabious, cosmos and continus foliage - so I've gathered up an armful to bring to lovely Jane across the pond - head over there for a floral blog party in full swing! x







22 comments:

  1. Well I am an arachnophobe Belinda, but even I can appreciate the beauty of those webs, and your stunning photos. And those Japanese anemones look amazing, especially with that dark foliage. I must try and grow some here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, evocative post. loved it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to wake up to these images.

    Spiders are usually not my friends but when they are so beautifully photographed, and living so very far away, even I can admire them and their homes.

    Thanks for setting the tone for this, my favorite month.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I see cosmos I think of the Oklahoma panhandle. We always had some cosmos in our little garden there.

    Just a lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures--I especially the first one of the fence with the wildflowers, etc., also those gorgeous clouds in some of the others. Your words about this time of transition are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful bouquet of flowers at the end of a bunch of beautiful photos. Your post makes your piece of the planet feel magical, and your words fit the bill too. Very nice to visit you this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Belinda,

    Your photo's capture your words wonderfully!

    Happy week,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely composition.. both visually and expressively. Your photography is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love September. I think it has the loveliest weather, even thought the gardens are fading but look what you've got. Spiders are amazing, as with most I'm not crazy about them (don't hate them either though) but I find their webs to be works of art, as your pictures of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous, gorgeous photos. Lovely photos to slide into a little bit of autumn. Love the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your photos and agree about September- a beautiful, unsettling month and my favourite! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got summed up September so well Belinda. Beautiful as always. I will confess I did look away for a few photos eeek!! Sinead x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have some beautiful views Belinda! I love September too, I love the way the smell of the air changes on the very first day, followed by the bonfires... And as you say, the light, the mist, and the webs ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Belinda,
    I see and feel Autumn in this post. You are a great artist. Thank you for sharing your beautiful views.
    Christa

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really afraid of spiders, lol, but the other pictures are truly beautiful. It made me travel a little bit :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous, all of it, even those stunning spiders with their incredible webs :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful skies! Funny, my garden is yellow and red and bronze now. The pinks and whites have disappeared. I love spiders and webs and struggle to understand why anyone might not, such perfect structures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful post and such beautiful images - you've captured this time of year perfectly! Helen

    ReplyDelete