November 08, 2013

meadow treasures

I am so lucky to live right next to water meadows - full all summer with rustling, waist high grasses, and then seedpods and, by now, more wintry, skeletal stalks and empty seedheads. I spend time all summer picking, sketching, photographing and generally enjoying the meadowy lushness.


As night time temperatures are getting close to zero,  so I picked a last few meadow grasses before the frost blackens them. I know not all of you will share my passion for these strange, stalky beauties, but there is just something so evocative and interesting to me about their fragile beauty and the whorling repetitions of their structures and patterns.








In the past I have transferred their shapes to silver via a rolling mill, and I always ponder ways I can interpret their graceful shapes in precious metals - not an easy task, but I hope a  'meadow' collection will form part of my new work in 2014. That and dots and circles with a few tidal treasures thrown in - hmmm, lots of ideas swirling around!


Before then, though, I have plenty to keep me busy in the run up to Christmas. On Monday night, (11th November), I am showing my jewellery at the launch party of Creative Inspirations, a new gallery space at Dixie's Barns, in Ashwell, Hertfordshire. The gallery aims to showcase a selection of work by Hertfordshire's contemporary jewellers, but there is also work by local ceramicists, textile artists and other professional artists and craftpersons. It is an exciting local initiative and I am pleased to be a part of it. If you live nearby and would like to come along please email me for further details.

In the meantime, stay nice and cosy and have a lovely weekend. xx






10 comments:

  1. Umbels and grasses, I just love them, lucky you, lovely images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about them? the delicacy and the structure? the nostalgia of our childhood summers? Can never quite put my finger on it!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post. Keep toasty over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you been borrowing photos from House Beautiful? It's just lovely. Glad things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Having it tidy with my crew around is such an event I got the camera out!! xx

      Delete
  4. Both the cobweb and the grass look as if they were crocheted.

    Love the thought of them represented in silver.

    Stay warm and happy.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great outdoor shots. I love the spider web.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing aren't they, and always most noticable in Autumn. x

      Delete