January 22, 2014

an unbeatable floral duo for January: hellebores and snowdrops

Just when it seems the garden will sleep on forever, the unbeatable, unbreakable duo of hellebores and snowdrops pop up in my woodland garden. They are so faithful, so tough, so beautiful. My go-to plants for January floral therapy!






The only help they need is a little dividing and replanting for the snowdrops every five years or so and a chopping back of the huge amount of hellebore leaves in December, so the new shoots can emerge all gorgeous and Venus-like, unhidden by an unruly mop of old leaves. Anyway, that is what has worked for me.



Have you got any January wonder going on in your garden, would love to know? xx

10 comments:

  1. I saw snow drops just starting to unfold on Monday. Now they're hidden under the snow.

    Yours are lovely.

    xo J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are real toughies though aren't they? Thank goodness! xx

      Delete
  2. Belinda...how lovely and what a treat! No surprises here...just lots of velvety green moss in the shade of the pine trees along the fence row and an abundance of lovely green weeds throughout the lawn. Well, at least it's color among the brown grass! The snowdrops are so sweet and delicate. Who could resist the cheerful color the hellebores bring to winter grays? Thanks for brightening my day! Smiles...Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love moss though!! Thanks for the kind comments. x

      Delete
  3. Gotta get some snow drops;. I say that every winter, but this year i really mean it! They are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get them, in the green in a couple of months? You won't be sorry next jan/feb! :)

      Delete
  4. What beautiful photos of your snowdrops and hellebores! I posted my first snowdrop/hellebore photo yesterday. I am based in Suffolk and my snowdrops are just coming out. My hellebore orientalis are all sending up beautiful flower heads and the hellebore niger are in full flower. I love this time of year as these beautiful flowers kick off the new season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Does it seem earlier this year, with the mild, soggy winter? x

      Delete
    2. Me too! Does it seem earlier than usual with this mild, soggy winter? x

      Delete
  5. Like you we have hellebores and snowdrops, all just starting to peep out now, but also winter aconites which I adore. Like little suns!

    ReplyDelete