January 13, 2014

flowers in the house

January is a toughie of a month for flowers in the house - the pine-y Christmas loveliness, all that spicey greenery brought-indoors-to-warm-the heart have been cleared away, and although there are excitements brewing in the garden with the hellebore and snowdrop buds beginning to push through, there is not enough of anything much to pick in the garden. A little bit of foliage here and there but nothing really exciting enough to point a camera at.

So I am making do with honesty seedcases, all light and ethereal,  for a touch of pretty here and there. Honest is a useful flower in itself, white or purple clouds of blooms, and easy enough to grow with a bit of direct sowing of seed - they are biennial so plant the seeds in about may/june for flowers at about the same time the following year. In my opinion they are totally worth it for these gorgeous, shimmering seedcases alone.



I also have a pot of hyacinths on the kitchen table, with little green buds that almost look good enough to nibble on, (I won't!!), a daily reminder that the year is turning and despite being mid winter, things are stirring beneath our feet, life is brewing and new things are happening. Always good to be reminded!


There are more flowers in the house over the pond at Jane's, go take a gander! Have a lovely week.

26 comments:

  1. Those seedcase look like mother-of-pearlish decoration of household goods, oh gosh what is it called? From the Philippines I think? Now I am going to obsess all day:). Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a customer who is desperate for some honesty, the flower, that is. i don't know about the quality....

    Lovely, very new year, very Belinda.

    Thanks for always coming to the party.

    xo J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those seedcases are lovely--I don't think I've seen them before.
    I love the way the scent of hyacinths fills a room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the purple honesty when it's in bloom, but it seems to spread everywhere! Your cases are so pretty - definitely pearl-ish.

    glad you're well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can spread a lot if it likes the situation, I am hoping for a bit of self seeding this year, we will see! x

      Delete
  5. Honesty seedcases are new to me. Thank you for the introduction. And your hyacinths are so full of possibility. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the 'proper' name for Honesty is Lunaria if you want to look it up. x

      Delete
  6. Love honesty seed cases - and they look perfect in that jug. Enjoy the hyacinths!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I enjoy the anticipation of forced bulbs as much as I do their flowers! x

      Delete
  7. Hyacinths and tete a tete daffodils are in abundance here.... It just helps me believe that Spring is just around the corner!
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have such a great, "all hope is not lost" effect don't they? x

      Delete
  8. Oh those seedcases are just lovely! And I love the look of your hyacinths, as well as your words reminding us of the promise of new life that comes with spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh those seedcases are just lovely! And I love the look of your hyacinths, as well as your words reminding us of the promise of new life that comes with spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband was tidying the garden yesterday. He was doing em a favour so I can't complain but ... there are now no honesty seedheads to be found. I could weep, really I could!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just love those honesty seedcases. They are so light and airy and would most definitely brighten one of my gloomy rooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do! Love the way they are held aloft in same way J. anemones are. x

      Delete
  12. I love honesty seedcases. They are odd in that they are real, but don't look real. I have to try planting them. They look perfect in your white vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers are fine but not stunning, unlike the seedcases which are knock out I think. They are oddly papery for a plant!

      Delete
  13. Mmm, hyacinths. Love the look of them at that stage. And the seed cases are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The simplicity of honesty seems perfect for January - what a great idea. And I love it when the bulbs begin to push through - just spotted our first snowdrop flowers today, and lots more that are still just at spear stage. Happy January!

    ReplyDelete