February 15, 2014

just because....

it has been so unutterably cold, grey and rainy, here are some beautiful and brave hellebores flouncing their pretty heads off in my garden during a brief break in the clouds, reminding me this biblical weather will not go on forever.













A new thing I have discovered about hellebores is that if you let them go to seed in the spring and then replant a few of their endless self seeded baby plants in a bit of empty ground with a good handful of juicy compost they grow into great strapping, beautifully flowering plants in a couple of seasons. Within a few years I think our little woodland area will be properly carpeted by them as far as the eye can see. My cunning plan for this area of the garden is to have hellebores and snowdrops covering all the ground this time of year, followed by woodland anemones and bluebells in the late spring. With little pools of lily of the valley and dwarf narcissi. Swoon!

Hoping you are all having a great weekend, but for those on or near floodplains it is a scary time and my thoughts are with those coping with the freakish weather and terrible flooding. Wishing for drier times ahead. xxx

8 comments:

  1. What a breath of fresh air - thanks so MUCH! It is so darn dark and gray and just yuck here this week that I could scream. I know there are some hellebores blooming somewhere under all that snow, but they are well hunkered down today. Maybe tomorrow we will get enough sun for me to venture out and cut some for the house.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hellebores are stunning! My dream for our garden was the same, but a series of extreme drought years (remember them?) seems to have killed off most of the ones we had. But I recently cleared deadwood from a shrubby area and found 3 coming into flower, so couldn't resist adding 2 new ones from the local garden centre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positively delicious! My hellebores are coming along nicely but not as prolific as your beauties and probably a bit behind too as I am in Scotland and things are a bit later up here. But I am enjoying all the snowdrops in the woods around us and yesterday put some on my blog. You might like to visit me there http://therunningwave.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/a-real-winter-treat.html.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your plans sound wonderful ... you've listed most of my favourite plants there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many bulbs are rising in my gardens and I am excited to see their signs of the upcoming spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hellebores are much more substantial than mine but I am encouraged by your comment about how quickly they grow. I have some that went in as tiny plants a couple of years ago. Some in my side garden have been cut back and mulched with leaf mould and those are growing strongly. Some in the native tree walk have been pretty much left to their own devices and are surrounded by creeping buttercup. I leave you to guess how those are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks I needed this! My hellebores are suspended in snow and freezing cold. When will they ever bloom? When will they ever bloom?

    I love the sound of springs to come in your woodland.

    xo J

    ReplyDelete