February 18, 2014

Oh Norfolk!♥

The hubby and I have just returned from a rare twenty-four hours to ourselves. We needed to go to the north Norfolk coast to rescue our little, scruffy dinghy from the patch of salt marsh it had been dumped on during this winter's tidal surges. We managed to squeeze in an overnight stay at The Wiveton Bell, a favourite, cosy pub with gorgeous little bedrooms which we had often enjoyed meals at in the past but never stayed overnight. It didn't disappoint - prettily decorated, romantic rooms and warm croissants delivered to the door in the morning to complement a whole cupboard of generous and delicious provisions. Properly good value too. To have a gander at the rooms, click HERE.

We could not believe that we got a two hour stomp across the marshes, a walk I have grown up doing from Morston Quay to Stiffkey Fen, in blazing sunshine. And the thing about the flat north Norfolk coastline is it is utterly transformed by sunlight - and when the light is late and slanting, slipping away to a fiery sunset, the whole landscape turns a warm, glowing colour, a shifting apricot hued mirage of light-tipped grasses, glinting water and mud and vast skies filled with birds screeching overhead. It has been a tough few months recently and this felt like the most restorative vision, so uplifting, so comforting, so energising. Bliss.

We started at Morston, and walked along the coastal path, the marshes stretching away to the sea on our right.


The views always seem to have the same miraculous effect upon the knots in my shoulders! Here the old lifeboat house on Blakeney Point can be seen. As a kid we used to sail out to it and have a drink and packet of crisps before exploring and beachcombing. I love it that our kids have the same memories.


Our little boat was remarkably unscathed despite having moved about 200 yards!


Sadly, so many others were not so lucky.


Happily though, there seems there were many others that made it through the storms.




So many birds, the noise of this huge flock on the far mud flats was fantastic!




From the top of Stiffkey Fen there are beautiful views to sea on one side and to the Fen on the other. One of my favourite places in all the world.








That light! As we turned from home, the sun sank lower and we took a few minutes to just stand and stare. It felt so good to just breathe out. 








17 comments:

  1. Lovely post....there is so much I definitely must go and see in your beautiful country! Thanks for sharing, Anita xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! North norfolk is definitely worth visiting in my opinion! Email me if you ever do, I'll give you some recommendations. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the 6th photograph of the old odd looking boat!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fab old boat isn't it, and cosy looking inside - yes, I did have a peek!

      Delete
  3. What beautiful photos of a beautiful day! We did the same walk just before Christmas with a few friends & lots of dogs - it is such a stunning part of the country - particularly when the sun shines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your photos of the east coast skies. I live on the east coast of Scotland and we get these wonderful high skies and magical light. Looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't believe I've lived in East Anglia for 15 years and not visited. Must remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't believe I've lived in East Anglia for 15 years and not visited. Must remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not at all what we "Colonists" think of, when we think of England. I can see, tho, why our Norfolk was named for yours. Many years ago - prior to urban sprawl - it probably looked a lot like that.

    So beautiful! and peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GB is so varied for a tiny country. We expect huge ones like The States to be varied but I think people are surprised by how different the areas of Britain are. Come and explore! :)

      Delete
  8. oh I had forgotten how lovely it is there, years ago I used to help with an ecology course run on Blakeney point, I was always mesmerized by the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you? The Point was my summer time playground! Such an amazing place! Were you doing birdy stuff there or more dune protection etc? How fascinating, small world. xx

      Delete
  9. I live in and love the hills but your post has reminded me of the beauty of Norfolk. Had a holiday there years ago and was surprised to find how much I loved it, flatness and all. Must go back!

    ReplyDelete