March 02, 2014

simple pleasures

It has been a lovely, much needed moochy weekend here. Yes, there has been the normal amount of ferrying the kids about to their various activities and social arrangements, but there has also been plenty of time to read the papers and books, roast some chicken, drink a glass of wine in front of the fire, rid two big borders of weeds, take some photos, listen to my son on the guitar, play cluedo with our youngest one, talk, think... such simple things but so good.


And yesterday, when the sun was shining, it felt like Spring was in the air, fresh and breezy, green shoots everywhere and light pooling in every upturned flower.




Yesterday, after the aforesaid weeding marathon, I made a cup of tea and watched the most amazing sun set behind our house, looking out towards neighbouring horse paddocks and beyond. Just watched and sipped my tea, watched some more and took a couple of photos. There is utter magnificence in the every day, and it has been a huge discovery to find out that slowing down enough to notice and appreciate these moments creates a joyful life despite the inevitable ups and downs. Those moments do something to my view of life that seem to form a ballast of wonder and gratitude that sustains me during the tougher times. Does anyone else feel the same, or am I just a hopeless nature nut??





10 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I'm sure that I have become happier since joining instagram and striving to capture the everyday wonder in images to share online. It really does help you appreciate the awe and wonder around us and provide a ballast for the troughs that come with the wonderous peaks of life xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures, you have captured such a lovely weekend, the best of pleasures. When I saw the photo of your son, I thought for a moment it was my Sam! They aren't that alike on closer inspection but there is something about their quiet concentration (when Sam is photographing), that is very similar! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading about your weekend thanks for sharing, yep a nature nut here too and thankfully we are basking in some spring sunshine up here too.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a hopeless nature nut as well. Some of my friends think I should take more shots of friends, family, people...but nature calls to me..."Capture this moment and share it with those who did nto notice or forgot about the beauty offered in simplest ways."

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sunsets are just lovely at the moment and, yes, they are uplifting. It sounds a busy weekend - but good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Hopeless Nature Nut" love it......there are plenty of us out there and I think it's so important to teach our children to enjoy what's around us, the beauty in the everyday ....... gorgeous sunset.

    Clarie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. one more, hopeless nature nut. But I do HOPE for nature, in her turn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sitting and being still in the beauty of creation always sustains me for the journey of chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to have such lovely 'nature nut' blog friends, who get my rambles about these things! :)

    ReplyDelete