March 09, 2014

Visiting Bristol

It was my birthday on Saturday, and we popped down to Bristol to see our eldest son, Sam, who is at the uni. It was really lovely to see him so happy and relaxed and loving his new life there - the best birthday present I could ask for.


It is also a great city for a short break - the glorious suspension bridge, lovely boutiques and cafes in Clifton village, the Clifton Downs for a good stomp and blast of fresh air, a  redeveloped dock area with a ton of things to do and see, and more good shopping around the central Park Street area.The steep, hilly topography means that there are often wonderful views and the Georgian architecture around Clifton is gorgeous, so many stunning streets and crescents, including The Royal York  Crescent which is supposedly the longest in Europe.



I had serious balcony envy - these ones look across to Bristol Suspension bridge and the wooded countryside beyond. Dreamy!




It was all looking particularly gorgeous bathed in the most beautiful Spring sunlight.

Today, back home, and as I walked the dog over the fields behind our house, the sun was beginning to sink slowly but the air was still warming in the sunshine, full of birdsong and it really felt as if Spring had sprung. It was as Dickens wrote in Great Expectations: "... one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold; when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade."








I hope you all have a great week ahead, I'm hoping the sun keeps shining!

5 comments:

  1. How lovely to have an excuse to visit Bristol. I enjoyed three very happy years there and lived in two of the crescents before moving to Hope Square in Clifton. My commute to college took me over the canal to Bower Ashton but I often used to walk across the suspension bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. My daughter is at U.W.E. in Bristol and seeing her happy there with all her friends is a wonderful thing. I'm glad you had a happy, sunny Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! What a great gift to yourself. Hope spring is really coming to you now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twisted old trees look lovely even when bare of leaves! Is it an oak?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated Happy Birthday to you, it was mine yesterday. It was so lovely to see those pictures of Bristol. I went there as a child and have happy memories of balloons on the downs. Linda x

    ReplyDelete