December 09, 2014

slow mo december

There is a LOT of talk this time of year about being busy, as in busybusybusy/too much to do/not enough time/too much stress. As if it is a either a sign of success or a badge of martyrdom. The american imports of Black Friday and Cyber Monday seemed to encapsulate the hysteria that seems to bubble away under all the tinsel and jollity.

Well, I've been guilty of it in the past, but this year I'm just backing away from it all! I am firmly on slow-mo. I have had colds and coughs from late September and frankly, I feel pretty weak and weary. So, I'm stepping away from the busyness partly out of protest and partly because I just don't have the energy for it. And actually it is rather nice here! (I can't escape the fact that work-wise I need to push through with the best selling time of the year, but my jewellery events are nearly done for the year and I have made the workload bearable by not taking on any more 11th hour commissions.)  And because I'm in no fit shape to be rushing madly around, I'm....not rushing madly around! I am however, in my new-found unrushing, noticing lovely things even more often, amazing sunrises and sunsets in particular.




Here is what I'm learning in this new, slow mo run up to Christmas:

Buying Christmas presents:
Nearly all Christmas presents really can be bought online now, or from a few choice galleries and artisan-type shops or events which are actually a real pleasure to visit. Or, of course they can be made, if you like baking/sewing/making etc. My brother-in-law makes wicked chili jam and we look forward to it, every year. I am slowly learning that some of the buying can be throughout the year, as I discover things I think people might like, it also avoids financial melt down in January! If you love the last minute Oxford Street buzz, fine, just make it a pleasure not a chore or the whole thing becomes a farce. It is about finding your way of doing the preparations for Christmas that make you happy not feeling like a cross-eyed maniac.

An open fire and glass of something nice does make card writing and present wrapping more appealing.

Christmas parties:
Only go to the Christmas events, services and parties you really want to go to, you don't need an excuse, just very politely decline, the parties really will be just fine without you! ;)  Ha! I think this may be a sign of finally growing up, not going to parties you dread.

Seasonal health:
Anyone else had this run of colds and coughs, annoying ones that don't push off after a few days? I am Taking Measure:
A cup of warm water with lemon juice, cinammon and manuka honey first thing in the morning is a very good way to start the day. I have only been doing it a short time, but I feel it must be doing me some good! Also soups made with real chicken stock make me feel stronger just thinking about them.


Vicks vapour rub on the soles of the feet (then socks on) really does seem to stop coughing in the night and aid sleep. I'm not joking! I'm also not sure about the health credentials of this old wives' tale, but I'm desperate and it seems to do the trick! 0 for glamour obvs.

8 hours of sleep a night plus nana naps would probably get me back to full energy, but it is so hard to achieve this time of year! Anyone got any other amazing immune boosting tips? Pleeeease share in the comments section!

'Hygge':
Simple pleasures, like watching a Chrismassy film together on the sofa, lighting candles and making real fires, wintry walks and above all having time for family and friends is really much more satisfying than feeling the need to produce a perfectly tasteful, pin-worthy December. A bit of Christmas foofing with The Tree and paper garlands etc is lovely, but not when there is pressure for perfection or a creeping sense of failure. I never buy glossy, house-y mags in December, the ghastly '21-step plan for the perfectly dressed Christmas Eve tablescape' is the recipe for a melt down, and really it all just makes me a bit cross. Instead, is all about 'hygge' for me - what my Norwegian buddy describes as, "making everything feel warm and cosy and welcoming and having time with the people you love without a sense rush and stress." Exactly, making happy, cosy memories - we remember how people and experiences made us feel most of all. That is my goal, all in slow mo.



12 comments:

  1. Slow release vitamin c, I have a sad lamp as well which helps. Aromatherapy. I also have a bottle of hand gel where people can easily use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, great ideas, I have never had a sad lamp, but maybe it would be good for the immune system, will investigate.

      Delete
  2. I find a little bit of fresh Ginger juice with hot Lemon and Honey is wonderful, it's also good in the 'real chicken soup' too! Your sentiment is perfect for the way I feel this year... lets all go slow mo and take it nice and easy.. it has a much more caring feel about it than Busy Busy Busy!
    Thank you for your thoughts through out the year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is it isn't it, feeling more caring to oneself and others, nobody feels very loved when I am rushing around in a headspin! x

      Delete
  3. You missed the best cold medicine of all - a cup of tea with lemon, honey and whiskey! If it doesn't make you feel better .... at least you don't care! Hope you feel better for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for whisky!! Must stock up, never had in tea but will def try! Happy Christmas, Webb. x

      Delete
  4. I feel like winter is the slow season anyways. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, am definitely going with the slowing this year, rather than fighting it! x

      Delete
  5. Slow mo definitely sounds the way to go, and I'm sure will make the festive season all the more enjoyable in the long run. For your colds, you could try grating some fresh root ginger into your hot water and lemon. Top tip - chop the ginger into individual pieces and store them in the freezer, then you can just take them out as you need them and they're much easier to grate! I do hope you feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot my ginger in the freezer!!! Thank you for reminding me! x

      Delete
  6. your slow mo Christmas sounds lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping it will feel really calm and gentle this year, a very merry Christmas to you and your crew. x

      Delete